Yesterday, totally on a whim, I decided to pack the kids up and head to the beach. By myself. Leah takes really long morning naps so when she woke up around noon and I heard that it was the last nice day for a few, I decided it was going to be a beach day. My beach/pool bags are already packed so other than throwing on our suits and loading up the car, there wasn't much prep work. I decided immediately not to pack a lunch for 2 reasons. The time involved in doing so and the cooler would be just one more thing for me to carry. We would hit a drive through on our way there. At this point I'm thinking this is pretty easy and chastising myself for not doing it sooner. When we get to the beach I put Leah in the back pack and on my back, Max carried the sun umbrella and I carried the large bucket of beach toys, the beach bag, and the bag of misecalleous stuff. Loaded, yes. But not that bad. We picked a spot near the end of the board walk and set up our little spot. Max loved playing in the water, jumping the waves, building sandcastles and chasing the seagulls. Leah loved eating sand covered french fries. I loved the sun, water, and watching my 2 kids play. Then it became time to leave. I started to panic. Both of the kids had sand in every nook and cranny. Packing up took a little more work. Leah was tired and done with the beach. After doing what I could to leave more sand at the beach than on us or in our car, Leah was back in the back pack and Max was carrying the umbrellla and I was loaded down with everything else. Don't forget the little bambino hitching a ride inside. We make it back to the car. Max strips down naked while I'm trying to change Leah and get her out of her sand outfit and into her carseat. Then he tells me he needs to "pee." I told him he would have to hold it. When he started dancing I may have told him to go in front of the car and pee in the sand while I would pretend that I had no clue what he was doing or who he belonged to. So now the car is loaded, Max and Leah are sun kissed, tired, and still, despite my best efforts, covered in sand. And I am exhausted, sweating, breathing really hard and wondering what part of this I thought would be easy. But, as you can see from the pictures, totally worth it!
Thursday, August 20, 2009
I can say that I did it....
and that I probably won't do it again!
Yesterday, totally on a whim, I decided to pack the kids up and head to the beach. By myself. Leah takes really long morning naps so when she woke up around noon and I heard that it was the last nice day for a few, I decided it was going to be a beach day. My beach/pool bags are already packed so other than throwing on our suits and loading up the car, there wasn't much prep work. I decided immediately not to pack a lunch for 2 reasons. The time involved in doing so and the cooler would be just one more thing for me to carry. We would hit a drive through on our way there. At this point I'm thinking this is pretty easy and chastising myself for not doing it sooner. When we get to the beach I put Leah in the back pack and on my back, Max carried the sun umbrella and I carried the large bucket of beach toys, the beach bag, and the bag of misecalleous stuff. Loaded, yes. But not that bad. We picked a spot near the end of the board walk and set up our little spot. Max loved playing in the water, jumping the waves, building sandcastles and chasing the seagulls. Leah loved eating sand covered french fries. I loved the sun, water, and watching my 2 kids play. Then it became time to leave. I started to panic. Both of the kids had sand in every nook and cranny. Packing up took a little more work. Leah was tired and done with the beach. After doing what I could to leave more sand at the beach than on us or in our car, Leah was back in the back pack and Max was carrying the umbrellla and I was loaded down with everything else. Don't forget the little bambino hitching a ride inside. We make it back to the car. Max strips down naked while I'm trying to change Leah and get her out of her sand outfit and into her carseat. Then he tells me he needs to "pee." I told him he would have to hold it. When he started dancing I may have told him to go in front of the car and pee in the sand while I would pretend that I had no clue what he was doing or who he belonged to. So now the car is loaded, Max and Leah are sun kissed, tired, and still, despite my best efforts, covered in sand. And I am exhausted, sweating, breathing really hard and wondering what part of this I thought would be easy. But, as you can see from the pictures, totally worth it!







Yesterday, totally on a whim, I decided to pack the kids up and head to the beach. By myself. Leah takes really long morning naps so when she woke up around noon and I heard that it was the last nice day for a few, I decided it was going to be a beach day. My beach/pool bags are already packed so other than throwing on our suits and loading up the car, there wasn't much prep work. I decided immediately not to pack a lunch for 2 reasons. The time involved in doing so and the cooler would be just one more thing for me to carry. We would hit a drive through on our way there. At this point I'm thinking this is pretty easy and chastising myself for not doing it sooner. When we get to the beach I put Leah in the back pack and on my back, Max carried the sun umbrella and I carried the large bucket of beach toys, the beach bag, and the bag of misecalleous stuff. Loaded, yes. But not that bad. We picked a spot near the end of the board walk and set up our little spot. Max loved playing in the water, jumping the waves, building sandcastles and chasing the seagulls. Leah loved eating sand covered french fries. I loved the sun, water, and watching my 2 kids play. Then it became time to leave. I started to panic. Both of the kids had sand in every nook and cranny. Packing up took a little more work. Leah was tired and done with the beach. After doing what I could to leave more sand at the beach than on us or in our car, Leah was back in the back pack and Max was carrying the umbrellla and I was loaded down with everything else. Don't forget the little bambino hitching a ride inside. We make it back to the car. Max strips down naked while I'm trying to change Leah and get her out of her sand outfit and into her carseat. Then he tells me he needs to "pee." I told him he would have to hold it. When he started dancing I may have told him to go in front of the car and pee in the sand while I would pretend that I had no clue what he was doing or who he belonged to. So now the car is loaded, Max and Leah are sun kissed, tired, and still, despite my best efforts, covered in sand. And I am exhausted, sweating, breathing really hard and wondering what part of this I thought would be easy. But, as you can see from the pictures, totally worth it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great pictures! I love them so much. Next summer I'll come with you to the beach ;-)
I had a day like that once. Notice I said "a" day. It was a similar exhausting experience never to be repeated.
That last comment was mine not Tom's.
Post a Comment