How quickly life changes. I know this. I experience this at work all the time. I constantly have this nagging "when is it going to happen to me" feeling lurking in by being. Well, on December 8th, it was my family's turn. Rob got a call that his dad had collapsed at work and before we could even wrap our minds around what had happened, we learned that he had died. My initial feeling was that of anger. I was so mad that this had happened. Rob's family was intact and was everything I didn't have growing up and now his dad was gone. I loved him and wanted my kids to know him. I was so upset that I didn't get to know him better. I wish I had asked more questions and just spent more time learning about him. I can still hear in my head the sound of his voice greeting me at Thanksgiving. "Hi Denise."
I also felt so very, very sad. I was so sad that Rob lost his father and his best friend. They had such a cool relationship. They probably talked on an almost daily basis and Rob was pretty current on where is dad was on his road trip; when he would be loading or unloading; or his next destination.
The visitations and funeral were long and emotionally exhausting. It was amazing though, to see all the people that knew and loved Lloyd. People waited over an hour to pay their respects and some of Rob's friends drove over an hour to come and support him. We felt so loved.
In the end, I still feel angry, sad, in disbelief, but also so blessed. I'm thankful that I at least got to know him as much as I did and that all of my children had been born and were held by him.
 |
| I love this picture! |
 |
| Grandpa and Max at the Hamilton Memorial Day parade |
 |
| Max and Grandpa |
 |
| Grandpa, Max and Leah |
 |
| Max and Leah- He wanted another grandaughter! |
 |
| Isn't this cute? |
 |
| Carving the bird- Thanksgiving 2009 |
 |
| At the Griffins' Game |
 |
| Grandpa and Max this past summer |
 |
| Grandpa and Sarah |
1 comment:
I'm so sorry for your loss Denise! It looks like he really was the best grandpa ever. I hope those memories will help comfort you.
Post a Comment