It was 2am and I had just got home from work. I was quickly checking my email/facebook before heading to bed when Max's sweet little voice yelled, "Mommy." I went to check on him to find him sitting on his bed somewhat dazed and probably still asleep. I tried to find out what was wrong... did he have to use the bathroom or did he have a bad dream or was he not feeling well. He said, "I don't know what's wrong." I picked him up and carried him to the living room. I asked, "Do you want me to hold you for a little bit?" He nodded and nestled into me.
Before finishing my story, I should probably give some back ground information. Max is a great kid but he is not an overly affectionate child. I wouldn't mind a thousand kisses a day but I am lucky to get one. I could hug him until my arms ached but I make the most of the few I get in a day. It's not that he isn't affectionate, it just has to be in his time, when he wants to. I certainly crave more affection from so when he agreed to sit on my lap and let me rock him in the chair like I did when he was a baby, I soaked up every minute of it. I can't believe how big he is and how much room he takes up on my lap. He slept; I reminisced.
Sunday in Church, Pastor Jonathan talked about creation and how God makes something out of nothing. He talked about being in the moment. How a certain point in time has never exsisted before and will never exsist again. While I sat there and rocked my not so little baby, I was in the moment. I smelled his hair, rubbed his back, and stared at him. He is growing so fast and I don't want to miss anything. I rocked him for what seemed to be an hour but, in reality, was probably only 10 minutes, before he woke up and went back to bed. For those few minutes when he was my little baby again, I was in the moment. I can assure you I was aware of every single moment and took advantage of our midnight cuddle time.
5 comments:
What a sweet story Denise, one I'm sure you'll hold on to for years to come.
Very sweet. I can relate too because my baby is not much of a cuddler either. So the few times he does lay his head on my shoulder and just let me hold him, I love it, and I also cherish the moment as you did because I know they are so few and far between.
Very sweet Denise! They do grow sooo fast, you are right! I have had a memorable moment something like that with Gavyn! To see their little feet grow so big, and you said so well they take up much more space on your lap than ever before! It is wonderful...but heartbreaking!
He is perfect just the way he is, besides that "not being overly affectionate" is probably the 'German' in him ;-)
Enjoy the moments!!! Time passes so quickly. Adam is growing stubbles on his face :-(
What a great story. I remember times like that with my kids. Good thing I remember them because now they are getting to the age that they really want nothing to do with me...well the oldest one at least. I really wasn't expecting that for a couple more years. It's a little sad, but typical and expected I guess :( My middle one is the only real cuddler. One out of three isn't bad!!
Post a Comment