Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Harvest.

Summer is over and Fall has arrived.  The final fruits of the garden have been harvested but the yield was small.  It certianly wasn't a great year for us.  Our tomatoes were terrible and our beans neglected.  I'm so mad I didn't have time to can green beans!  It was so nice to pull a jar out of the pantry to enjoy for dinner.  Next year I'm going to be more on top of it.  I think it will help, too, that the kids will be older.   Anyway-  I did manage to get a couple of salsa canning sessions in!  I don't remember exactly how many quarts I canned but probably around 50 or so.  And this years theme was sweet and spicey.  Hopefully that will get us through until next summer!

Simply Irresistable.  (Yes, I know it's JUST salsa!)

So pretty.
And the fall fruits:

And this past week, with the wonderful help and expertise of my mother-in-law, managed to can roughly 60 quarts of applesauce.  I just can't go back to the the store stuff.  And all the canning makes me feel a little pioneer womanish.  She's my idol.  If you don't know her, check out her blog.  She can cook, she can take photographs (good ones), and she is a funny and great writer!
Jonagolds, Empire, and Crispins

The official apple washer
Prepping

Can you smell?  Oh. So. Yummy.



The taste tester



And we're done!





4 comments:

Aunt Barbara said...

WOW, I am impressed! Wish I were there to be with you all!

Barbara Park said...

Denise, Come on, your mother in law has a blog????

Amanda said...

Girl - Pioneer Womany your idol - I think you are becoming her! Your photography is GREAT, you are funny and you cook up a phenomenal batch of applesauce! :) Thanks for the little gift the other night!

Brandi said...

WOW! You have been busy! How do you do it all Denise! :) The applesauce looks amazing!