Friday, June 10, 2011

The end of the Boppie Era


All three kids had pacifiers, or "boppies" as they are called by us, from the time they came home from the hospital.  Max had his until he was 18 months old and it was so easy for him to quit.  One day he bit a hole through the tip and I told him it was broken and he was done.  Piece of cake.

How I was going to break the girls of this habit I wasn't sure.  I wanted Leah to be done by the time she was 18 months but I wasn't ready for Sarah to be rid of hers.  Let's be real-  it was an instant mute button.  Could I break one of the habit but not the other?    I didn't think it would go over well since they shared pacifiers.  If one of them would be crabby or cry, the other one would given them theirs.   It really was a sweet gesture!  So I just let the spit swapping continue!

I had no idea that yesterday was going to be the day.  Grandma was watching the kids for the day and on the way to her house I remembered that I forgot to bring the pacifiers.  I freaked.  I searched the car high and low, my purse, everywhere.  None to be found.  I didn't want the girls to be difficult for grandma but she assured me they would be fine.  I wasn't so convinced.  But they were fine.  They both went down for a nap without any problems.  Could this really be the day?  

I called Rob and told him to not give them their pipes that night.  And yes, I apologized that he was going to be doing this alone since I had to work!  He said Sarah didn't even make a peep.  Leah cried and took awhile to fall asleep but finally did, without her pacifier.  I think this might be the day!

Nap time today was not so easy.  Leah threw a temper tantrum for about 15 minutes.  I laid down with her and she eventually quieted and went to sleep.   Sarah screamed for about 30 minutes but she too, finally went to sleep.  I wasn't sure if this was going to happen today but I was determined not to give in!

Anxiety overcame me when it was time for bed.  I was convinced they were not going to go down without a fight.  Just when I thought I knew my girls they proved me WRONG!  Not a peep!  Nothing!  We have conquered the pacifier!  There is NO going back now!  I am done searching for those little suckers.  Yeah for Leah and Sarah.... and Mom and Dad!


No comments: