Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Talk

I was just reading Missy's post about having "the talk" with her 11 year old daughter regarding sex. While I have a while before having that kind of talk with Max I'm wondering if I need to have a talk of another kind. For the past week or so, everytime Max wakes up he asks, "Where's my daddy?" I reply, "He's at work." Max then asks, "Daddy go get beer?" Finally today I told Rob about it and jokingly asked him what he's doing while I'm at work. Today I was backing out of the drive way and had my window down. Max yelled and asked me where I was going. I told him I had to go to work. What does he say? "Mommy, you go get beer?" What the heck? Where is this coming from? So, while at work I called home to talk to Rob and Max and Rob said that he gave Max some water to drink for dinner and Max takes a drink and says, "Yummy, good beer." I don't know if Max has ever seen me drink a beer and Rob will have a couple after work sometimes but seriously, this makes me feel like a really bad parent! This isn't a new thing either... A couple of months ago we were at a clothing store and it had a little play area for kids. Max found this little kitchen area and was playing. WHile I was at the check out line Max came running up to me with this brown plastic toy bottle and says, "Mommy, this is Max's beer!" They just know how to embarras you, don't they!

5 comments:

Tina said...

Hey - it is a phase. Nick did the same thing, they think it is so cool to be like daddy or mommy, they know it is something they can't have so they think it is cool. Beware - swearing will come next!! That is a phase too. The next phase is sending Max to kindergarten and have him come home talking about sex!

Missy said...

Oh my goodness I am cracking up! All 3 of my kids did the same thing. Cameron used to think it was the best thing in the world when we would have friends come over on the weekend and she would play waitress and get everyone their beers. Didn't help that they started tipping her which made it even better for her! The comment from Tina is dead on! Unfortunately they find a way to humiliate you at every age!

Jamey said...

That is hilarious!! We don't really drink at all. A beer about every 6 months or so! My kids call it stupid juice. They learned that from my friend. I'm not sure if that is worse or if I would just rather have them say beer. I am so NOT looking forward to having the talk with any of my kids. We just had to tell my oldest about Santa, the tooth fairy, Easter Bunny....that was hard enough!

Lori said...

I think we'll use the term "adult drink" in our house which will apply to all drinks kids can't have, including pop, coffee etc. Probably wont work, but it's worth a try.

Anonymous said...

hahaha don't wanna sound like a 'downer" but things just get so much worse!!! Beer? Hah!!! How about "My mom's farts sound like machine guns!" or "She always tells people that she's on a diet, but yesterday I saw her eating two pieces of cheesecake in her room."

Ain't puttin' my name this time;>