Here's a nice little story I'd like to share about the goodness of strangers.
When Rob and I were dating, for our first Christmas together, he got me a necklace with a pendant. He spent a little chunk of change on it but the sentimental value was worth much more to me than the monetary. Ask anyone, I wore that necklace ALL THE TIME. Then one night at work I felt something funny on my watch and there was the chain hanging on my wrist wrapped around my watch. I immediately wondered where the pendant was and soon found it in my shirt. Anyway, I had put the necklace away until I could take it to get it fixed. I hadn't thought about if for awhile and then when I went to look for it I couldn't find it anywhere. I was devastated. I was hoping that it would eventually turn up. A couple of days ago I was cleaning out my junk drawer and lo and behold, there it was. I was extactic! So much so I rushed to the jewelers today to have it repaired. I dropped off the chain and put the pendant, along with the original reciept and the claim check from today, into a small little ziplock bag and tucked it into my pocket. While I was sitting in the deadlocked parking lot at the mall waiting to get out, I decided to check my voicemail at home. There was a message from a lady who had found my pendant on the floor in the mall. In her message she said she would mail it to me. I panicked and immediately called her back. I couldn't believe I had lost it again. Fortunately she was still at the mall and happend to be close to where I was parked. I made my way like a mad woman through all the mayhem and found her. I almost started crying and she was so sweet. I told her the story about how it had been lost and found twice and she said, "All right sweetheart." "Now you have it back. You take care, honey."
Maybe I'm jaded, a bit skeptical, or see the glass as half empty, but it seems like most people don't go the extra mile to do something nice. Somebody else could have picked it up and thought, "Her loss, my gain." But this lady took the time to look through the paperwork, find my number, call me, and then wait outside until I found her, to return this treasure to me. I wish I had learned her name. Thank you for returning it and renewing my faith in the goodness of people!
3 comments:
What a nice story with a happy ending! Seems you don't hear many happy endings lately! I'm so glad you got it back and yeah, I remember you did wear it ALL THE TIME!!!
Nice to find your blog Denise! I noticed it on Missy's bloglinks. What a great story- and yes, I agree- that woman did a wonderful thing and she probably doesn't even know how wonderful. Glad you got your necklace/pendant back!
Wonderful story! Kind lady! Glad you got the necklace back ;-)
Post a Comment