Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Back to life...

...back to reality.  I think I sneezed and December was over.  It certainly is a busy month... wrapping up Thanksgiving and then Max's birthday and before I knew it we were in the swing of Christmas parties and then the visit from the jolly old man himself.  The sad part is that December is over and that means I'm going back to work.  Rob and I decided that I would only take 8 weeks of materinity leave this time.  This was for a couple of reasons.  First, I had very little vacation time accrued after being on maternity leave with Leah.  Secondly, he is not working much and is willing to be home with the kids.  Am I lucky or what?  Not many guys would volunteer for that job.  We really didn't want to drain our savings just so we could both be home all winter. 

I mentioned that I'm going back to work but I didn't mention it was full time.  I'm still have quite digested this fact yet.  I prayed so hard that I would make the right decision and everything seemed to fall right in to place with daycare and such.  I will now be working 11a-11p instead of 3p-1a.  My days are 2 hours longer and I work just one more day a week.  With the economic status so uncertain we decided that it would be a bad idea for me to pass this up.  We can get by with me just working part time but if the economy doesn't turn around and the construction business doesn't pick up then we might be in trouble.  This will give us a little more security.  I'm still so conflicted about this decision though.  More than anything I've always wanted to be a mom.  And now have three beautiful kids and I'm going back to work full time.  I'm taking a leap of faith and praying that I can balance the demands of home and work and still be the mom I want to be.   

On a much lighter note... I've learned in my very informal poll that I probably should floss more if I want to "fit in."  I rescheduled my appointment for next week... I better get flossing.  I don't know why I don't floss more... it only takes a minute but sometimes is just hard to find that extra minute... know what I mean?  The sad part is when I was a kid I flossed every day... not because I wanted to but because I was made to.  I wish I had kept up that habit.  Wow.  That was a lot of  "flossing" for one little post.

That last poll was fun so I decided to have another.  Enquiring minds want to know!  I'm always curious about bed making... do you make yours every day?  I never used to make my bed  but now I almost feel compulsed to do so.  It gives me a sense of peace.  The rest of the house might look like it was ravaged by a tornado... but not my bed!


A couple of Christmas pictures!
I guess Santa didn't bring Leah something on her list!
The three best Christmas presents EVER!

2 comments:

Lori said...

Those kids are so precious, the littlest one looks like a doll.
I know how you feel about going back to work, I am working more hours than ever starting up my new business, and the whole point of doing it was to work less. Hopefully things all work out for a reason, and you are very lucky that Rob is willing to stay with the kids this winter.

Amy Harper said...

Happy New Year Denise! I love the family picture. Congrats on your new full time job. I am sure you face it with a slight amount of intrepidation, but it will work out. I know being a mom is 1st on your list but you are being a great mom by helping to support your family. You also get 4 days/wk to be the hands on mom (and hopefully rest a bit). Have a safe and healthy new year! Aim