Saturday, July 9, 2011

"What are we doing today, Mom?"

After good morning hugs this is the question I get asked every day, "What are we doing today, Mom?"  "Can we go [insert park, pool, gym, friends house, etc]."  Staying home is just not a "fun" day I guess.  I've been know to complain that the kids absolutely do not play by themselves, or with each other for that matter.  It dawned on me today that this is probably my fault.  I enable this behavior by constantly entertaining them with planned activities.  Yesterday we went to the fountains downtown.  Today we went to the park for a kids concert and then to play on the playground.  Other days it's the pool or to a pond to feed ducks.  It seems like we're always going/doing something and the kids never just play at home.  I just don't know how to balance doing all these fun activities and also teaching the kids some independence.  It's probably just a cop-out on my part.  Days we do spend at home are long and sometimes tortuous.  The kids follow me around like little ducklings... wherever I go, they go too.  It's cute... for awhile.  Then it's just plain annoying.  Really, what's so interesting about watching me shower?

I'm not sure what the right answer is.  Part of the problem is I feel guilty about working and when I have a day off I don't want to spend the time at home cleaning or having just an "ordinary" day.  I want to do something special for them and with them.  I want to make memories.  I think if I stayed at home or worked a lot less then I could get into a routine, a more structured day that included them having some personal time.  But as it stands now, I still work.  I stay up late because that's what I'm used to doing so I'm usually tired the next day. So, I take the easy road and and I entertain the kids anyway I can!

Here are some pictures of our recent escapades:

The Fountains:
I should give up trying to have them all look at me!


This one is a stinker when it comes to taking a picture.  She won't look at me and when she does I never have the camera ready... So wish her eyes were open!






Droopy Drawers!

Kids Tunes at Noon:

Only Max is cooperating!

Leah, look at me!

"Hey guys!  Look at the bird on my head."

Leah and Momma <3

"What?"

Nope, still not gonna look.

Cute little hands behind her back.


No comments: