Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Remembering the good old days...

So today I decided to venture out to the grocery store. This was my first big trip with both kids. I only needed to get a few things so after planning my trip... yes, I have to plan. I need to nurse Leah just before I leave so I have enough time to get to the store and back before having to feed her again. With just one child I used to sneak into a changing room and nurse there but I don't know how I earth I could do that AND entertain Max. So, needless to say, I nursed and we rushed out of the house. Sorry, I'm so off track. Anyway, the shopping trip was uneventful. The reason for this post is to vent. What happened to the good old days when baggers bagged your groceries and loaded them into your car? Our Meijer was just revamped and now we have all new self check out lanes. The option is to scan and bag your groceries yourself or wait (really wait) in one of the five "full service" lines they have open. There is always some type of glich in the self serve line. Getting someone to help is always a chore. I can't even find a button to alert the attendant that is at least 4 aisles away. So today, on several occassions, I'm yelling to the attendant, "Can you help me?" She'd come over and enter her password and fix things... and then come back and have to do the same thing again! I live in a small town that has a small grocery store that still bags and loads your groceries. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't worth paying more for my groceries just to get the service?

3 comments:

Jamey said...

I tried a new (well new to us) grocery store this past weekend. I usually just go to Walmart because it's easy and I can get everything. This new store that I went to rang everything up, bagged it, put it into the cart for me, AND offered to let me drive up so they could load it into my car for me. WOW!!!! I really couldn't believe it. I will definately go back there even though it is slightly more money and might mean a trip to Walmart as well. There are a few things that I wouldn't be able to get there but it would be so worth it!!

Lori said...

It is really nice when they bag and load your car for you. I wonder though, are you supposed to tip them? I don't know and I usually don't have cash, so I just don't, but I feel a little guilty like I should.

Anonymous said...

Finally something NEW on your blog ;-) Well, I guess with the economy the way it is, businesses try to cut services here and there. Hope things will get easier for you, sis.

P.S. Where are the pictures???