Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lady Luck....



... I'm not.  Truthfully, I may have been the most unluckiest person alive this weekend.  What a title, huh?  It's not one you really want to have when you're in Vegas.  Yep, I just spent the weekend in Sin City.  Rob and his really good friend, Chris, both turn 40 this year so we decided to take an adult get away.



 I learned a few things in Vegas:

1.   I'm not lucky.  But I've already stated that.

2.  I could probably ride a bull longer than it took me to lose $20.

3.  That Rob really, REALLY doesn't like to gamble.  Yeah, I learned this on the plane ride home.  Why he ever agreed to go to Vegas for his birthiday, I'll never know.

4.  And lastly, Vegas is just not my style.  Not to say that it never was but it isn't now.  If I were a high roller and had money to burn, maybe then it would be fun.  But I work hard for my money and have better places to "donate" it.  I'm glad I can say that I've been there, but I don't think I will ever have the burning desire to go back.

That being said, I really did have a good time.  We stayed at the Mandalay Bay.  It was nice but I was expecting to be WOW'd and I just wasn't.  There was a charge for everything.  We had a $15 per day "service charge" which included 2 "free" bottles of water, internet access, cable TV, etc.  Well, I hate to tell you Mandalay Bay, but I can stay at a Holiday Inn and have those services INCLUDED in my stay AND they provide coffee and coffee pot.  Who cares  if you're brewing your morning Joe in the John, it's more than what you did for me.

The pools at Mandalay Bay are awesome.  The weather was great.  The drinks, expensive.  We ordered a beer and a mixed drink.... $19 without tip.   I could just see the calculator in Rob's brain figuring out how many cases of Bush Light he could purchase with the money we would spend on drinks in Vegas.  It wasn't a pretty sight.

We arrived in Vegas around 3 something Vegas time.  We settled into our room and then hit the town.  We grabbed some dinner Vegas style.  At a buffet.  That was only $27 a person (sarcasm intended).  I swear I remember hearing frequent Vegas visitors saying that the food was cheap "because they just want to get you there."  Anyway, after stuffing our selfs to feel better about getting our money's worth, we waddled over to the Bellagio to check out the fountains.


On Saturday we hung out at the pool and enjoyed the beautiful warm sunshine!  We floated down the lazy river... not on an inner tube either.... because you have to BUY the inner tube.... they don't provided them or rent them so we just swam the lazy river... fun but not really lazy.  That evening we took a trip down the strip and checked out some of the other casino's, grabbed some dinner and then finally, watch the Blue Man Group at the Venetian.  We didn't realize it when we booked the show through Allegiant Air, but because we did book through Allegiant Air we were able to go back stage and meet a "Blue Man."

Rob getting "Baptized."  Rob made a smart ass "nice hair" comment and this is what happened.


Sunday we did a little more sight seeing up and down the strip and then topped off our night with a helicopter ride over Las Vegas.  It was no more than 15 minutes from take off to landing but it was totally worth it!  The view was amazing.  My pictures really didn't turn out... I didn't bring my real camera and just used my iphone.  Did I say it was AMAZING?




After the copter ride we went downtown to check out the Freemont Street Experience.  This is the old style Vegas and was really cool.  If, and that is a BIG IF, I ever went back to Vegas I would definitely stay there!  The food was so much cheaper, the casinos within walking distance to each other,  and the atmosphere was more tangible, if that makes any sense.  It wasn't so overwhelming, like I felt on the strip.




That pretty much wrapped up our trip and we spent most of Monday shopping before heading back to the airport.  I'm glad to say I've been there!  Viva Las Vegas?  I'm sure it will.

Me and my hot date for the weekend... and everyday :-)



3 comments:

Marcy said...

Sounds like you had a good time! I'm sure the kiddos missed you two like crazy and are glad to have their mom and dad back. Can't wait to hear "the rest of the story" that you couldn't put on your blog :-0

Mem said...

I was there 22 years ago (to the month). We stayed at the Flamingo, and everything REALLY was cheap. The food, the drinks, the entertainment, even the hotel was cheap. However, I remember I spent an arm and a leg on gambling (money I didn't have back then), and promised I'd never go back to Sin City. Well with all that money you spent, you probably could've come to Egypt ;-)

Lori said...

I've never been to Vegas either, but Old Style Vegas would definitely be my style. I hate overpriced touristy places, especially food, it's not good for dieting cause like you said, you want to get your money's worth but then you feel like your gaining weight with every bite. Either way it's a waste!