Friday, June 4, 2010

Then and Now.

 Boy how things have changed.  Tonight I went out with some girlfriends.  Rob had plans with the boys and and a friend of mine was singing at a local pub so I decided to gather a couple of my closest girls and make a night of it.  On my way there I started chuckling to myself.  I was taken back to the days before kids, before marriage, when Girls Night Out (GNO) was oh so different.

Then:  GNO did not start until after dark.

Now:   GNO started at 5 and I was home before dark.

Then:  The entire day leading up to GNO revolved around getting ready for GNO.  Probably involved
            shopping for an entire new outfit, getting the nails done, exercising, tanning, etc.

Now:  Errand running that had absolutely nothing to due with GNO.  Arrange play date for the kids to
           alleviate guilt of leaving for a playdate of my own.  And throw in several butt wipings, diaper            
           changes, bottle feedings, referee matches, and a couple of toilet bowl cleanings.

Then:  Shower, primp, primp, and primp some more.  And shaving the legs was an absolute must.

Now:  Take the 5 minutes I have after the sitter arrives and before I have to leave to spray a little extra          
           spritzer and refresh the deodorant to help hide the fact that I may not have
           showered that day.  MAY not have.  Maybe I did.  Or not.  And hope and pray that hairy legs are
           in style now.  And if not?  Oh, well.  I'm an old married lady now.  Shaving is over rated.

Then:  Don the new duds and admire the finished product in the mirror.

Now:  Rummage through the closet (or dirty clothes basket) to find the only outfit that doesn't scream        
           MOMMY and don said outfit all the while avoiding the mirror at all cost because if I caught a        
           glimpse of the NOW I would start crying and wonder what happened to the THEN.  And then
           the mascara starts running and my face gets blotchy and blah, blah, blah and I'd probably curl up
           in a ball in my bed and totally forgo GNO to watch Lifetime for Women.

Then:  Give $$$ to the bartender.

Now:   Give $$$ to the babysitter.

It was great night out with the girls.  Good food, good friends, good music.  But the best part of the night was when I walked in the door and this sweet 4 year old boy ran up to me and said, "Mommy!  I've been waiting for you and I'm so glad you're home."  "I love you all the way to Santa Claus!"  The rest of the night was  MNI, Mommy Night In.  And no one cared what I was wearing or how hairy my legs were.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Yep that about sums it up. Except for the exercising part, that would be GNO pre marriage too, not just pre-kid.

Marcy said...

So true.