Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Law and Order: SVU

This post is for my medically trained friends.

Tonight SVU does not stand for Special Victims Unit but rather, So Very Unreal! I am not a regular viewer of this show. Tonight there wasn't anything on so I watched the last half. This cracked me up. In this episode Detective Stabler's very pregnant wife is in a car accident. Initally she is unconscious. She is pinned in the vehicle and requires the jaws of life to get her out. After she regains consciousness she tells Olivia (her hubby's partner) that her water broke and she is in labor. The medics decided they can't cut her out of the car until AFTER she get's an IV. And apparently no one else can fit inside this car besides Olivia because they have the cop (who has never started an IV, start the IV while still maintaining C-spine precautions) (Uh, sure.) I won't even get into how ridiculous this was. One because the cop was up by her head starting an IV in her antecube (the bend in the arm) and was at the most ridiculous angle that any experienced nurse who has started 1 million IV's would have a hard time getting. Lucky for Olivia, she got it on her first poke! Then they hung fluids. Now I know that not everyone is medically trained but seriously, but anybody who is know that in a trauma you hang at least a liter of fluid and probably more. This poor lady got a small, probably 250cc bag of fluid, and amazingly awoke after a few manual squeezes of the bag. It get's really crazy in the ambulance. Remember this lady is pinned in the vehicle which means her legs are trapped underneath the dashboard and probably not without serious injury. In the ambulance they decided to deliver the baby (most medics I know would only deliver if the baby was on it's way out and it was an abolute last resort.) The lady has her knees (that were just unpinned with the jaws of life) to her chest and is pushing! The baby is delivered in 2 pushes and then the mom crashes and the paramedic calls the hospital and lets them know she has "coded." The next scene she is holding her baby as her husband rushes into her room and they all live happily ever after. I wish all our traumas were this easy and turned out this good! It makes me wonder, don't the shows have someone in the medical field review the story to make sure there is SOME reality to it? Just thought I'd share because I thought this was hilarious. I guess I'll have to stick to my VERY REAL, VERY AUTHENTIC, Gray's Anatomy!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG that is soooooooo funny!!! I guess they should sort these shows under fiction and nonfiction hehehe They probably assume that the people who are working in the medical profession are way too busy to watch TV. ;->

Ethan's Mom said...

Wow! That's really bad. I can't wait for Grey's to come back...I think it's finally back on 4/17 or somewhere around there! I voted on the sex and I've always thought that you'd have all boys, but considering how sick you've been...I voted a girl!

Lori said...

I saw that episode on it's first run, and I was still pregnant just about to deliver, and the show made me cry. I know the medicalness of it was bad, but the rest of it was good. I really like that show, they are not usually about medical stuff, so cut them some slack will ya? It's one of my fav shows (at least my fav law and order show)

Anonymous said...

SVU is a police procedural. We're talking drama, not medical docomentary.

While the medical stuff was a bit contrived, I really liked that the firefighters took a few seconds to evaluate the situation. How many TV shows actually show the jaws of life? To a viewer who has never seen the roof of a car cut off, it was fascinating.

Lori said...

Do you live in Holland? I'm so confused. I was just blog surfing over to ethan's mom's blog, and was asking to be invited to phatnurse blog, but then I realized that you are one too. How come I didn't know this? Can I have an invite please?

Jamey said...

Yeah, I saw that one the last time it aired....funny! After doing L&D the last 6 years it was extra funny. Good thing they are more known for the law side of it instead of the medical!!!

Missy said...

Hey Denise! I laughed when I read your blog too! I'm not even in the field but fake is fake! Anyway, thanks for the comment! I'm excited to be an official blogger! I never did much for comments before, I didn't know it would be so exciting to receive them! I got 4 on mine and I couldn't wait to read them! I promise I'll leave more comments! Have a great Easter!

Anonymous said...

I saw that episode too and wondered about it at the time.

Anonymous said...

Finally!!! It works